Friday, 27 March 2009

Potholders

Single thread

You need:
Cotton yarn (potholders gets filty with food = needs to be washed in hot water)
A hook that goes with the yarn (read the label that comes with the yarn)
A needle (to weave in ends)
A pair of scissors (to cut the tread)

Use either thick yarn, or double thread of thinner yarn (odd English = translated directly from Norwegian..)

Pattern (in UK terms. I think):
Ch 6, join to form a ring.
1. ch 3 to make first tremble, work 13 more tr in the ring; join with a sl to the top of the beginning (14 tr)
2. ch 3, make 2 tr in every tr from the last round(28 tr); join
3. ch 3, 2 tr in the next stitch, *1 tr in the next, 2 tr in the next* continue all the way around; join 4. ch 3, 1 tr in the next stitch, 2 tr in the next, *2 tr in the next 2 stiches, 2 tr in the next*; join
5. ch 3, 2 tr in the next 2 stitches, 2 tr in the next, *3 tr in the next 3 stitches, 2 tr in the next*; join
6. make 7 rounds of increasing in the same way

Make the border:
Make a chain stitch in one of the st from the last round, skip 2 st, *make 3 tr into the next st, ch 1, 3 tr into the the same st as the last 3 st, skip 2 st, make 1 slip stitch* Keep on working like this, until you've finished the round..
Before cutting the yarn, ch 10 and make a slip stitch into the last st (forms the loop for hanging).
Weave in all ends.

Thinner yarn, held double

17 comments:

Mary Jane said...

These are beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pattern!!

Bea said...

You're welcome!!

sukigirl said...

Such pretty potholders...I really need to check out the cotton yarn colours!
Thank you for the lovely pattern!

Alhana said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it :-)

Sandra said...

Bea you have wonderful crafts!!!

I'm adding your blog to my blogroll, it's fantastic and I'll keep visiting.

Thanks for the beautiful designs, I'll try a few of them (still don't knit right, so crochet it is! lol)

Hugs from Venezuela!!!

Claire said...

merci beaucoup pour les jolies choses que vous nous apprenez

Marte said...

Takk for mønster :)

CONSTANZA said...

thank you from the pattern! i'll try to do it.

JoAnn said...

Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to make some round potholders and these look perfect.

Sense of Home said...

Thank you for this pattern. They look the the potholders that my great grandmother made. Now that I have the pattern, I will make them as well. Thanks again!

Bailey said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern. Your work is beautiful!

Javajem said...

Love this pattern - thanks for sharing!

ladyoftheloom said...

Beautiful! I am reacquainting myself with crochet!
Alice

Lindsey @ Yarnia said...

Super cute! I have a dishcloth obsession myself, so I'll have to try one of these; I can only imagine they have the same effect :)

Sara said...

Hi Bea! I have made these pretty potholders for myself and as a gift for my mom. They are so pretty and work up really quickly! I would like to share this pattern next week at www.tangledhappy.blogspot.com. I hope you don't mind. I also love that beautiful crochet bag you made. May have to sneak that in as well. Thank you for sharing these lovely patterns!

Mereknits said...

I love your blog and want to thank you for posting this pattern. I am a bit new to crochet and never thought I would like it being an avid knitter, but I am loving each new experiment in crochet.
Meredith

Andromeda said...

Pretty :) Love the colour combinations one can do these in :)