Sunday, 10 August 2008
Use 5 dpn's, and sport weight yarn.
The right mitten:
1. CO 40, knit 2, purl 2 for 20 rounds
2. Knit all stitches for 20 rounds
3. Knit 21 stitches, knit 8 more st and put these 8 on a safety pin, knit 11 st. **
On the next round: knit all st until you reach the 8 st at the safety pin, CO 8 new st above the thumb hole (the 8 st on the safety pin), and continue knitting all stitches for the rest of the round
4. Knit all st for 7 rounds
5. Knit 21 st, k2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, knit all remaining st on this round. Do this round twice more
6. Knit 23 st, BO 7 st(hole for the index finger), knit all remaining st
7. Knit 23 st, CO 7 st, knit all remaining st
8. Knit 21 st, k2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, knit all remaining st on this round. Do this round twice more
9. Knit until 30 rounds from the thumb hole(or more/less after trying it on)
10. Knit 1, k2tog, knit until 3 st left on second needle, ssk, k1. K1, k2tog, knit until 3 st left on fourth needle, ssk, k1. Keep doing this until you have 2 st on each needle, pull the thread through the st, and pull tight. Or you could stop at 3 st at each needle, and craft them together(like I did)..
11. Optional: crochet chain stitches around the index finger hole with some leftover yarn to make it fit better/not end up to big after some use. Make sure the hole is still big enough ;)
Left mitten: Mirror the right one, but leave out the hole for the index finger :)
** Another way of doing the thumb hole: Knit as described until 3. When you reach the thumb hole, instead of knitting 8 st and putting them on a safety pin, you could knit in some waste yarn in a different colour as followed: knit 8 st with the waste colour yarn, put the stitches back on the needle you just knitted them off. Knit the same 8 st once more, but this time with the main colour yarn, knit 11 stitches and continue the pattern at 4.
When you've finished the mitten and starts on the thumb, remove the waste yarn and pick up the stitches and put them on 4 needles. Knit the thumb as described underneat..
1. Pick up 8 st at the back of the thumb and put these on two needles
2. Put the 8 st on the safety pin on two needles as well, and knit in the round until the thumb is long enough. Try it on as you knit (I use 18 rounds)
3. BO by knitting the two first st on each needle together. When 2 st left on each needle, pull the thread through all the remaining st and pull tight..
Weave in all ends, and you’re done..